'There is more in you than you think' Kurt Hahn

About Me

I have over 20 years teaching experience including both secondary and primary education. Throughout all of this there can be no doubt about my passion for outdoor education. My career path has gravitated towards realising that education means more than a classroom, more than just book learning, more than just exams. Outdoor education is not a subject-it is a way of learning concerned with the overall development of young people. In this trip I hope to observe first hand examples of best practice, in contrasting educational systems, and witness inspiration and innovation in delivery of the outdoor curriculum.
It is with grateful thanks to The Goldsmiths' Company that I have this opportunity and am able to pursue my passion.



Tuesday 8 June 2010

A few photos.

Hadleigh Bear at Culloden.



The battlefield at Culloden.


The big house at Gordonstoun.



St Michael's Kirk on the silent walk.



It has been a very interesting day and I've spoken to many people about how Kurt Hahn's (founder Headmaster) philosophy still influences Gordonstoun today. As well as all the outdoor aspects there are many elements of service i.e giving your time freely to help others, for example special boat service, helping the coastguard, conservation, ski patrol, mountain rescue, life guard and they have their own fire station which gets called out about 40 times a year. Tonight I have been with the young carers, they come from the local area and have a couple of hours of fun playing sport, swimming with students from Gordonstoun, the project has been running for about 8 years now and is very worthwhile. On my way back to Homewood (the house I'm staying in) I visited one of the girls boarding houses to see what they were like - impressed!

2 comments:

  1. Hi, looks like you're having a great time! Forget the weaseling, I'm adding you to our list of qualified Battlefield Guides for walking tours of Culloden...expect to be hearing from us!
    Watch out for Nessie tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Joanne,
    To say I am jealous is an underststement but I do have a bonus. year 6 are marine activiting today. Some very weT outdoor learning! Carole

    ReplyDelete