'There is more in you than you think' Kurt Hahn

About Me

I have over 20 years teaching experience including both secondary and primary education. Throughout all of this there can be no doubt about my passion for outdoor education. My career path has gravitated towards realising that education means more than a classroom, more than just book learning, more than just exams. Outdoor education is not a subject-it is a way of learning concerned with the overall development of young people. In this trip I hope to observe first hand examples of best practice, in contrasting educational systems, and witness inspiration and innovation in delivery of the outdoor curriculum.
It is with grateful thanks to The Goldsmiths' Company that I have this opportunity and am able to pursue my passion.



Wednesday 9 June 2010

Out with Year 5

Hello!! What a day I've had.........Up and out ready to go before 8am. Met with the two instructors I was going to be with for the day, we then drove through the Scottish countryside for about 90 minutes to Loch Duntelchaig where we met pupils from Aberlour who were on a weeks expedition. Helmets on and one group were off micro-caving or weaseling, for those of you who don't know what I'm talking about you have to wriggle, scramble and squirm like a weasel through a labyrinth of tunnels, voids and tight spaces under a jumble of vast boulders that have lain undisturbed since the ice-age, fancy having a go? (Really not for me so when the groups swapped I stayed above ground). The other group helmets and harnesses on, scrabble up the hillside, bit slippy after all the rain we had yesterday, to the top of a craig. Then expertly one by one they abseiled down to the botttom. The outdoor education department at Gordonstoun very much believe in impelling their students, and visiting teachers, into new experiences. Yes I abseiled for the first time ever!! Was I worried? Hmmm, trust in a couple of bits of rope to stop you falling?? It was great! I really enjoyed it, would recommend it and love to do it again.
My few days at Gordonstoun have been excellent. Yet again I have seen, learnt and experienced so much. Many thanks!

1 comment:

  1. What a treat!It sounds as though you are going to come back with all sorts of tales to tell.St. Michael's is just about surviving without you.The fives and sixes are out today and I have enjoyed the company of threes and fours instead.
    Enjoy the activities but stay safe. Carole

    ReplyDelete