'There is more in you than you think' Kurt Hahn

About Me

I have over 20 years teaching experience including both secondary and primary education. Throughout all of this there can be no doubt about my passion for outdoor education. My career path has gravitated towards realising that education means more than a classroom, more than just book learning, more than just exams. Outdoor education is not a subject-it is a way of learning concerned with the overall development of young people. In this trip I hope to observe first hand examples of best practice, in contrasting educational systems, and witness inspiration and innovation in delivery of the outdoor curriculum.
It is with grateful thanks to The Goldsmiths' Company that I have this opportunity and am able to pursue my passion.



Friday 11 June 2010

Travelling day today.

Hello one and all. Not sure how far I've travelled since yesterday but it's pretty much from one side of Scotland to the other. The A82 was a bit like being on a one carriage motorway, fast, lots of overtaking but with very sharp bends plus the odd halt to let boats pass! Stopped at Fort William, glimpsed Ben Nevis despite the clouds, drove through Glen Coe, had lunch close to Glen Etive, no phone signal since Loch Lommond (and unlikely for the next week!!). Then I arrived at 'The Rest and Be Thankful', after all that I thought I can see why it's called that, have a feeling it's called that for another reason...............my destination, 6 miles away, ohhh my goodness what a 6 miles, I've never driven or been driven down/up/along something quite like this, Nick you'd have loved it and Ben too, Jake you wouldn't! Safe to say now I'm here I'm not venturing 'out' back up that road until I have to (week Saturday).
Thanks for all your mails, texts and comments, really good to hear from so many of you.
Quick note for the Challenge Club - yes there were animals (birds, bears, wolves, lynx and elk) but didn't see anything other than mosquitoes, yes we lit fires and cooked on them, food has been good except my pancakes at the lake!, didn't see Nessie, if Mrs Franceschi wants to take up weaseling (bit difficult to find somewhere near us) then fine but count me out!!

3 comments:

  1. Hi Jo, not sure from your comment whether you enjoyed your drive, was it the "rest and be thankful"? It seems to have made quite an impression. I hope Hadleigh was useful when Nessie spotting, you can probably see why I like spending time in Scotland. Have a bit of a busy day tomorrow, being treated to lunch!! Hope the midges and the "you no see 'ems" are not out. All the best Walter G

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello! Hope lunch was good. I would have liked less cars on the road especially going through Glen Coe so I could admire the views more. Fantastic scenery, photos just don't do it justice, so yes, I fully understand why you like spending time up here.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hmm, Hadleigh Bear seems to be having an awful lot of interesting times lately. Might just change my name by deed poll. Do you think I could fit in your suitcase/rucksack or whatever?

    Munchkin

    ReplyDelete