'There is more in you than you think' Kurt Hahn

About Me

I have over 20 years teaching experience including both secondary and primary education. Throughout all of this there can be no doubt about my passion for outdoor education. My career path has gravitated towards realising that education means more than a classroom, more than just book learning, more than just exams. Outdoor education is not a subject-it is a way of learning concerned with the overall development of young people. In this trip I hope to observe first hand examples of best practice, in contrasting educational systems, and witness inspiration and innovation in delivery of the outdoor curriculum.
It is with grateful thanks to The Goldsmiths' Company that I have this opportunity and am able to pursue my passion.



Thursday 17 June 2010

The 'splosh'!

Hello..........another busy and exciting day. This morning I left Hadleigh and my camera behind because I went walking up a river bed, bit slippery in places but great fun. There was a rope swing that when you let go you dropped into the pool below, refreshing on a warm day in what's proving to be a sunny Scotland or you could just do Tarzan impressions! Then a bit more of a climb and we arrived at the 'splosh'! You climb up onto the rocks and then jump into the deep pool below...........yes I did do from the highest point, not just once but twice, it was brilliant, thoroughly recommend it. To see pictures of the splosh and other activities have a look at the Ardroy website and click on gallery at the bottom of the page.
This afternoon I went to a nearby wood on a sensory walk, found a 'magic spot', saw a deers skull, found some wonderful waterfalls which you could walk under and met with the Scottish National Parks Outdoor Learning Development Officer. Plus art with natural materials on the beach this evening . Now I'm off to pack as I leave here tomorrow.
Many thanks to everyone at Ardroy for a great week, I've learnt a great deal.

4 comments:

  1. After our first week in Derbyshire we've managed to find a library and have been able to catch up with your news. We've been having a great time walking and exploring the Dales and are also sleeping well at night but it seems quite tame in comparison with your adventures.

    Do hope you have a good and safe journey to Salem and we'll be on the look-out for another library to keep up to date.

    We've been in regular contact with the home support team and they are surviving well.

    Love, Hazel and Ken

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Joanne

    I’m loving reading your blogs… abseiling, rope swings and the ‘splosh’ all sounds a little scary but very impressive… not sure about smell cocktails though (I prefer a mojito myself)

    All is good here – I’ve just sent you an email

    Lots of love
    Amanda xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Joanne, all very scary sooner you than us. You should come home either much fitter or absolutely ------- which ever,looks like you are really going for it. This blogging thing certainly keeps one in the picture, and being able to see the pics as one reads your blog,we can relate to what you are doing, mind you it is hard to envisage you jumping in the "splosh" in Scotland, did you have your wellies on for that?
    "not so likely" says you.
    Take care,
    Love Mum and Dad.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It sounds as if you are having a great time! Life at St Michael's will be very ta\me in comparison. I do hope you enjoy your stay in Germany - the pictures of the campus look spectacular - just hope for some good weather.
    SEESMA came and went as usual - lots of hard work, but I think all enjoyed it.

    Starting on the second two of my 4 weeks - I must confess to being tired - it's something to do with age I think!

    All the best,
    David

    ReplyDelete