'There is more in you than you think' Kurt Hahn

About Me

I have over 20 years teaching experience including both secondary and primary education. Throughout all of this there can be no doubt about my passion for outdoor education. My career path has gravitated towards realising that education means more than a classroom, more than just book learning, more than just exams. Outdoor education is not a subject-it is a way of learning concerned with the overall development of young people. In this trip I hope to observe first hand examples of best practice, in contrasting educational systems, and witness inspiration and innovation in delivery of the outdoor curriculum.
It is with grateful thanks to The Goldsmiths' Company that I have this opportunity and am able to pursue my passion.



Monday 7 June 2010

Hello from Gordonstoun.

Evening! I have just got back from the 'Silent Walk' to St. Michael's Chapel taking in the beautiful school grounds. Big thanks to the IT department, I can now blog, just as well as I can't get a mobile phone signal!
I visited the Culloden Battlefield this morning. I found out that the Mackenzies' fought for four different Clans all on the Jacobite side. There was only me on the long tour/walk, quite eerie in the mist but Hadleigh Bear kept me company, until I got back to near the visitors centre where there were more people doing the shorter tour.
I arrived at Gordonstoun at about 3pm and was meet by the Head of Outdoor Learning, lots of chat about what goes on in his department and the rationale behind it. I have a very busy couple of days starting with chapel at 8.15am , then a tour of the school, followed by a day of meeting and talking to people who all have an important role to play in the running of this school. So my day will end about 7.30pm. Then an early start on Wednesday for abseiling and weaselling (?) with Year 5 pupils who are currently on a week long expedition over Inverness way and we shall join them.

5 comments:

  1. Hello from Benfleet
    Glad you reached Scotland safely .We think you should go for weaseling (?) as that sounds as if it is at ground level .
    Tonight we entertained the UK Support Team . They dined on sausages .All three seem to be surviving well.
    Love Hazel & Ken .

    ReplyDelete
  2. You missed very heavy rain 'showers' here....looks ok there re: weather, so guessing the weasels (you?) didn't get wet at ground level (or underground). Trust it's all going well and that you are networking!
    Enjoy!
    Barry

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, good luck with the abseiling and weaseling with the year 5 pupils. (I have just looked weaseling up and it could suit Ben!) Hope the weather is good, it has been a bit damp here recently. Glad to hear that Hadleigh is proving a good companion, looking forward to more photos. The blog is proving popular with Year 5, quite a number have logged on to view it.
    WG

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Joanne, glad all is well, thanks for the post, most interesting. Stick to ground level stuff and stay safe. All well here,still busy busy. Keep on blogging we find it very interesting, we will be asking lots of questions
    at a later date. Hope the weather is kind to you.
    Love Mum and Dad xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Greetings from the science room!

    All ok here and children all missing you. Glad that you arrived in Scotland ok and that you are being entertained by the weasels!! The pics are lovely and I want to be there as well.

    Enjoy the next part of you travels and keep blogging- fab way to keep up with you.

    Love Ros

    ReplyDelete